Reasonable Americans from the rest of the country need to send a message to our countrymen in Florida: Until you undo the ridiculous law that gave an armed predator a virtual license to blow away an unarmed minor on a public sidewalk – and then allowed him to walk away from the scene free from arrest – we will find another place to vacation and do business.
Legal experts say that George Zimmerman, the gunman who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, likely has a reasonable chance of beating any criminal charge lodged against him. That’s because current Florida law permits its citizenry to be armed and use lethal force to counter a perceived physical threat from another person in a public setting.
The public outcry from across the country over the failure of local authorities to arrest and prosecute Zimmerman for killing an innocent child is heartening. But it doesn’t go far enough.
Americans of all backgrounds – particularly black Americans – must mount a campaign to make Florida an outcast state based on the dangers inherent there to black children and teens that have been laid bare by this case. Until the state legislature and the governor repeal the so-called “Stand Your Ground” law, there should be a national boycott on tourist travel to Florida by popular entertainers, cruise lines, convention planners, and all others who have come to see that state as a premier destination for fun and relaxation under the sun.
Florida has declared open season on black children. It’s time for the rest of us to reciprocate by sending a message with our feet and our wallets.
Now if that almost a million folks who signed the Change.org petition would let their travel agents and the Florida tourism dept. know they won’t be stepping foot in the state so long as that Stand Your Ground law is on the books, we might do some real good - and keep other states from passing or keeping their own versions of this law.
- amiliabyrd likes this
- mustachenmuscles likes this
- ladyxandria reblogged this from sarahlee310
- lunarpolitics reblogged this from sarahlee310
- johnnywhatshisname likes this
- sarahlee310 reblogged this from eclecticbanana and added:
- bethanysworld likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- silas216 likes this
- aycedanger reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- generalbriefing likes this
- hannawolfcross reblogged this from typingsdrawings
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president reblogged this from sarahlee310
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from bluntlyblue
- feelingerongbata likes this
- climate-changing likes this
- death-aesthete likes this
- bluntlyblue reblogged this from sarahlee310
- alittlesomthingsomething reblogged this from piecesoflogic
- alittlesomthingsomething likes this
- piecesoflogic reblogged this from sarahlee310 and added:
- piecesoflogic likes this