An Egyptian-born U.S. columnist was arrested Tuesday for spray-painting an advertisement equating Muslim radicals with savages at a New York City subway station.
Mona Eltahawy, 45, of New York, was arrested on charges including criminal mischief and making graffiti, police said. Her arrest was captured on video by a New York Post camera crew and posted online.
Eltahawy is a women’s rights defender and lecturer on the role of social media in the Arab world. She calls herself a liberal Muslim who’s spoken publicly against violent Islamic groups. She’s seen in the video spraying pink paint on the ad while another woman tries to block her.
"This is non-violent protest, see this America" Eltahawy said in the video as police officers were arresting her. "I’m an Egyptian-American and I refuse hate."
- i-mpickingupthepieces reblogged this from invisiblelad
- invisiblelad reblogged this from 6dogs9cats and added:
- 6dogs9cats reblogged this from silas216 and added:
- comix likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- silas216 likes this
- noctilucente likes this
- likeroscoe reblogged this from sarahlee310
- likeroscoe likes this
- dizzydezzi reblogged this from sarahlee310
- dizzydezzi likes this
- lustforthemoonlight likes this
- yourlittlearabmexican reblogged this from sarahlee310
- yourlittlearabmexican likes this
- gilmoure reblogged this from sarahlee310
- gilmoure likes this
- careful-with-that-blog-eugene reblogged this from sarahlee310
- gileslyon likes this
- guilttriphop reblogged this from hollabackqirl
- hollabackqirl reblogged this from sarahlee310
- sarahlee310 posted this