Deceptively entitled the Sportsmen’s Heritage Act, the bill (H.R. 4089) purports to protect hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting. The bill is being pushed by powerful groups like the National Rifle Association and Safari Club International and supported by some of the most anti-wilderness Republicans in Congress. And it would effectively gut the Wilderness Act and protections for every wilderness in America’s 110-million-acre National Wilderness Preservation System – everywhere from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota to the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness along the Montana-Idaho border that I can see from my home.
First, H.R. 4089 elevates hunting, fishing, shooting, and wildlife management above wilderness protection within designated wilderness areas. Visitors or wildlife managers could drive motor vehicles and build roads, cabins, dams, hunting blinds, aircraft landing strips, and much more in wildernesses if any of these activities could be rationalized as facilitating opportunities for hunting, fishing, shooting, or managing fish and wildlife.
The only limitation in H.R. 4089 on motor vehicles or development is that the activity must be related to hunting, fishing, shooting, or wildlife management, though that need not be its only or even primary use. In reality, almost any recreational or management activity could be shoehorned into one of these exceptions and thereby exempted from Wilderness Act safeguards.
Perhaps even more troubling, H.R. 4089 would waive protections imposed by the Wilderness Act for anything undertaken in the name of wildlife management or for providing recreational opportunities related to wildlife. This would allow endless manipulations of wildlife and habitat.
This could include logging, if done to stimulate new forest growth on which deer might graze. Similarly, bulldozing new dams and reservoirs could be validated as a way to enhance fishing habitats. Poisoning lakes and streams to kill native fish and then planting exotic fish might be allowed under the guise of increasing fishing opportunities. And predator control (including aerial gunning and poisoning) could be defended for boosting the numbers of popular hunted species like elk or bighorn sheep that predators also eat.
There is no limit to what managers could do in designated wilderness areas all in the name of wildlife management or providing opportunities for recreational hunting, fishing, and shooting. These provisions strike at the heart of the Wilderness Act and its foundational underpinnings to preserve wilderness untrammeled and native wildlife in its natural environment.
For nearly a half-century, the Wilderness Act has protected the finest of America’s wild lands and created a National Wilderness Preservation System that is the envy of much of the world. H.R. 4089 would negate all that we have preserved. In my 60 years of work for wilderness preservation and management, our nation has never been threatened by a more serious attack on this irreplaceable publicly owned resource. Citizens must demand that the US Senate do nothing to advance the House provisions of the so-called Sportsmen’s Heritage Act and instead protect our grand wilderness legacy for future generations.
Well, this pisses me off. They will not be satisfied until they destroy everything beautiful. It is already nearly impossible to find a quiet place to camp without ATMs roaring up and down roads.
- jaunty-cavalcades reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- harlotofthedesert reblogged this from nerdymouse
- lycanpedia reblogged this from hairtrending
- justcrashheretonight reblogged this from hairtrending
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- barebearbutts likes this
- woofdaddy reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- woofdaddy likes this
- eternaloroborus reblogged this from nerdymouse
- swissmisstery likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- protoslacker likes this
- pop-rocks-blowjob reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- ajora reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- cupboardindian reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias and added:
- jsarevisited likes this
- bevthegreat reblogged this from nerdymouse
- existenti-al likes this
- kylegreggy reblogged this from killerclownsfromouterspace
- nerdymouse reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- soluscreas reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- killerclownsfromouterspace reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- letinout likes this
- aliceincrohnsland likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from sarahlee310
- peacefulwarriors reblogged this from kp777
- peacefulwarriors likes this
- sarahlee310 likes this
- babal-on likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias likes this
- nocturnalphantasmagoria reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- kp777 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- joost5 reblogged this from redshift-13
- joost5 likes this
- 5ourdiesel likes this
- artguy321 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- redshift-13 reblogged this from sarahlee310 and added:
- redshift-13 likes this
- other-stuff reblogged this from sarahlee310
- riddaonthestorm likes this
- baebble likes this
- yandere-anons likes this
- the-uncensored-she likes this
- knowledgeequalsblackpower reblogged this from sarahlee310 and added:
- blissandzen likes this
- oceanicsteam likes this
- sarahlee310 posted this